Nation Mini-Directory &
Chinle, Canyon De Chelly and Adjacent Areas
UpdatedJuly 3, 2013
Guided Tours of the Canyon and the Area
Typically full and half-day tours may be
available during the Summer, while half-day tours are run in the Fall, Winter
and Spring when the Canyon is open. Tours vary from escorted tours of the rim drives to driving along the canyon's floors, or going by horseback.
Some services offer overnight trips into the Canyons.
(The Park Superintendent may choose to close the
Canyon after times of heavy rains. Since the wash beds are the highways into
the Monument, high water hinders travel.) There has been little consistancy to
closures due to eratic weather patterns.
The following guide services offer more personalized
service and work with those who may require more individual attention. They
both accomodate individual, small, and large group needs. Both have websites
with detailed information. Both are local companies.
- Canyon de Chelly Tours
Certified Navajo Guides. Individual, small & large group tours, accompanied
rim tours and out of area tours. Their vehicles with up to 12 person capacity
Mercedes-Benz, or their or your jeeps. Leon Skyhorse Thomas, proprieter
- Tsegi Guide Association
Available at the Canyon DeChelly Visitor's Center. These Park Service Certified
guides are available from a minimum of three hours for private tours. Visitors
must supply and drive their own vehicles. Off the road four-wheelers only. No
all-wheel-drive minivans:they lack required clearance.
- Justin's Horse Rental
Located at the Canyon's mouth, rides are a minimum of two hours to multi-night
expeditions. Contact Justin Tso,Sr. at (928) 674-5678 for prices and
reservations. He operates all the year.
- Twin Trails Tours
Located on the rim above Canyon Del Muerto, eight miles north of the Visitor
Center on the North Rim Drive. Two hour minimum to multi-night journeys.
Contact Lorraine Izzo for reservations, questions and prices. All equipment and
- Totsonii Ranch
Located one and one-half miles past the Spider Rock viewpoint turnoff on the
South Rim drive, four hour horseback tours take visitors to the base of Spider
Rock, one thousand feet below the canyon's rim. Contact Lee Bigwater at (928)
755-6209 for prices, reservations and questions.
Area Restaurants and Accommodations
All Telephones are in the 928 area code
Hotels, Campgrounds, Bed & Breakfasts, and RV Spaces
Canyon DeChelly Inn
Chinle Holiday Inn
Dining and Salad Bar on the site of the old Garcia's Trading Post.
Sacred Canyon Lodge
Sacred Canyon Lodge Website 1-800-679=2473
The Sacred Canyon Lodge, the renamed Thunderbird Lodge, is the oldest tourist accomodation at Canyon De Chelly.
It is located near the Canyon's mouth, amid the cottowwoods. Excellent service,
a large campus-like environment, gift shop-trading post and cafeteria make this a place to visit
even if you don't stay here. Started by trader George Day over one hundred years ago, when
he accepted guests into bungalows constructed around his trading
post, which now houses a modern cafeteria and kitchen. The
Lodge often offers evening presentations in front of the gift shop by Park
Service Rangers, local performers and story tellers.
- National Park Service
Canyon DeChelly Cottonwood Campground (928) 674-5500
National Park Service NO FEE facility. Ninety-six sites for
tents, camp trailers and motor homes. Water and bathrooms, but no RV hookups.
In a shady grove of tall cottonwood trees near the visitor center and canyon
mouth. No reservations required or taken for groups of less than fifteen.
sites accomodate up to fifty people.
- Spider Rock RV Campground (928) 674-8261
A privately owned campground eight miles east of the visitor center on the
south rim drive. It is on the rim of of Canyon DeChelly on the way to Spider
- Located on the Diné College campus in Tsailé, it is
economical and practical. Singles and four bedroom suites with a common bath
are available. It is amid pines and juniper trees near Tsaile Lake at the upper
reaches of Canyon DeChelly National Monument. Phone (928) 724-6830.
Many Farms Inn
In Many Farms, Arizona, seventeen miles easy driving north of Chinle and Canyon
DeChelly on U.S.191, this is a training site for students in Hotel/Tourist
Services at Many Farms Boarding School. A dormitory has been converted to guest
quarters. Facilities are Spartan, clean and adequate. Each room has two single
beds. Bathrooms are shared. At thirty dollars ($30) per room, these
accomodations will save tourists the hour drive to Window Rock, or beyond.
Classic dorm living, there is a television in the lounge, and pay phones in the
lobby, as well as vending machines. Fast Food is available from
mini-markets/gas stations along US 191. For reservations call 928-781-6363.
- Holiday Inn Restaurant- Full Service w/ Salad Bar
- Junction Restaurant - Full Menu, Full Service, All Meals
- Sacred Canyon Lodge Cafeteria- Good Food, Excellent Atmosphere
- Pizza Edge In Tseyí Shopping Center By Bashas- Pizza, Salads and
- A&W Root Beer
- Basha's Deli & Bakery (928) 674-3464
- Burger King (928) 674-3700
- Chevron (928) 674-3241
- Church's Chicken (928) 674-3450
- Pizza Edge (928) 674-3366
- Taco Bell (928) 674-5376
- Thriftway (2) (928) 674-5401/8243
- Baldwin's Minimart (928) 674-3383
- Basha's Supermarket (928) 674-3465
- Chevron (928) 674-3241
- Thriftway (2) (928) 674-5401/8243
- Smith's Fruit Stand & Cafe
Books, Jewelry and Souvenir
- Navajo Arts and Crafts - Tribal Sponsored Outlet for Local Jewelers
and Artists at traffic light. (928) 674-5338
- Best Western, Canyon DeChelly
Inn Gift Shop - A Growing Collection. (928) 674-5288
- Canyon De Chelly Monument Headquarters - Excellent Supply of Books
- Larry Pinto Navajo Silver jewelry. Woman's accessory wear in
silver, turquoise, lapis, mother of pearl and coral. Traditional and Custom
Jewelery Design, Manufacture and Repair.Write Him
- Fredrick Ted Henry. Navajo Jeweler 928-674-1148 Ted frequently works
on display at the Canyon De Chelly Visitor Center. He does custom orders. PO
Box 1163, Chinle, Arizona 86503
- Sacreb Canyon Lodge - Most Extensive Gift Shop in Area (928) 674-5831
- Holiday Inn Gift Shop - Growing Selection of Jewelry, Crafts and Books
- Wells Fargo Bank, Chinle (928) 674-3423
- 24 hour Banking Machine in
- Western Union Money Transfers (at Bashas) (928) 674-3465
- Thriftway (2) (928) 674-5401/8243
- Money Orders
Auto Supplies, Gasoline and Tires
- Chevron Gas Station (928) 674-3241
- Chinle Auto Service Center (Towing) (928) 674-3312
- Speedy Towing Service (928) 674-5405
- High Tech Window Glass
Repair and Replacement
Serving The Chinle Valley from Ganado to Red Mesa. He does quality work and is
less expensive than a trip to town.
He comes to you. Call Johnny at 928 659-4249
- Union Seventy-Six (928) 674-3465
- Many Farms Exxon
- Chinle Thriftway (2) Open 24 Hours
- Rental Cars -Available From Gallup Airport
- Automobile Parts
- General Store Automotive Dept -
Oil, Filters & Batteries and more (928) 674-5486
- General Store - Clothing, Camping and Auto Supplies
- Tseyi Shopping Center Laundry and Laundromat
- Silver Coin Laundromat
- Thriftway Chinle Laundromat -Open 24 Hours
Law Enforcement/ Public SafetyThe Navajo Nation is served by many authorities. The Navajo Police, the Apache County Sherrif, and the
Arizona Highway Patrol,as well as the National Park Service Rangers may be encountered on roadways.
- Emergency 911
- Indian Health Services Hospital Emergency Room (928) 674-7090
- Ambulance Services (928) 674-7097
- Navajo Police Department (928) 674-2111
- Apache County Sheriff 911, (928) 674-3820
- Vandal Hot Line 1-800-826-3257
- National Park Service Rangers (928) 674-5513/5523
- Fire Department (928) 674-5222
- Game & Fish Violations 1-800-352-0700
- Pentecostal, Potter's House, North of Chinle
- Baptist, West US 191
- Canyon Family Church (Opposite Church's Chicken)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints, West US 191
- Presbyterian, East of Town
- Catholic. Navajo Route 7 on hill
- Seventh-Day-Adventist, In the cottonwood grove
- Native American Church (NAC)
Chinle Indian Health Service Hospital and Emergency Room
The Bureau of Indian Affairs Hospital is located on a mesa, overlooking the town of Chinle.
In the event of an accident requiring medical care, Emergenciy Services will transport to this location.
This 90 bed facility has a full Emergency Room and provides ambulance service to the surrounding region.
Note: This Bureau of Indian Affair Hospital's primary mission is to serve the Navajo People, however, because of the distance between medical
if in your opinion, travel would be hazardous or risky, because of your or another's medical condition,
You may/must declare the need for emergency care
at the Chinle hospital Emergency Room.If you see the need for emergency services, you or the patient will be seen.
Once admitted and stabilized, if further hospitalization is required, you will transported either to Ganado, or an off Reservation facility of your choice.
- Sage Memorial Hospital Clinic in Ganado
- Open 8am-4pm most days. Walk-ins Accepted
- Cibolla Clinic - Gallup. Call for Appointment
- Gallup-McKinley County Hospital and Emergency Room, Gallup, NM
- Valley Health Center Farmington - Emergency Room
- Flagstaff Medical Center & Emergency Room in Flagstaff
Fishing and Camping
Note: In the summer of 2000, both lakes are extremely low after four
years of drought and almost no snow. Both lakes are well below
- Behind Dine' College at the intersection of Navajo Route Seven and the
Lukachukai-Window Rock road, it was constructed as a flood control dam at the
head of Canyon Del Muerto. Ask at the gas station, where you can get your
license, for directions. Approximately 270 Acres in surface, camping is allowed
by permit along the shore. No facilities or improved campsites. Remember to
bring your own firewood. Quality of fishing varies from fair to outstanding.
Fishing from shore is impeded by heavy weeds. Fly fishing with nymphs, small
spoons, and lead bodied, sonic spinners (1/4 oz black and red Panther Martins)
work well if you are not into fishing with Powerbait or corn. Mostly
Cut-throat, Rainbow and Brook trout with a few catfish. Both lakes have
abundant forage in the form of snails and crawdads, which most fish gorge on.
- Approximately 275 acre lake near the New Mexico-Arizona border. Camping in
improved campsites in the Douglas Fir forest. Boat launch ramp; electric motors
only. Picnic tables and fireboxes along west shore. Same fish types as Tsaile
lake, plus an abundance of crawfish. Great place to watch the osprey fish.
Surrounded by high mesas. Small general store on north side of dam. Lake
usually supports ice fishing during the winter months. The same baits that work
at Tsailé, work here too. The fish seem to like diversity, so I do carry
a variety. Southbend's Super Dupers and the Z-ray are alternatives worth
- High Mountain Lakes in Narbona Pass
- This group of lakes is reached by taking the Crystal road to US 666. They
are remote and not heavily fished. The scenery is so great that it is hard to
mind if the fish don't bite!
Do not wade without shoes in any of the preceding lakes.
Most have broken glass bottles imbedded in silt of their bottoms in unexpected
places.The sharp edges can, and will, if given the opportunity, slice open an
unprotected foot. The frigid water can so numb the feet that the injury can go
un-noticed until you leave the water!
- Lee's Ferry of the Colorado and
- Quality Waters below Navajo Dam in New Mexico
- Fed year around by the cold clear outlet waters from large dams, both sites
have a deserved respect as premium trout waters. Guides are available and
suggested until you learn the lay of the land. Both states have unique rules on
boat size, fish lengths and limits.
- Big trout, striped bass, catfish and great scenery. Three hours to the
north at Page. Several Marinas with boat and houseboat rentals. Off-season
discounts are common. Tour the dam and view the interior turbine galleries.
Warm Water Fishing
- Red Lake North of Fort Defiance, Inquire locally.Shallow with heavy weeds
- Many Farms Lake
- Irrigation supply for the Many Farms area. Thirteen feet deep at best. Wind
keeps it churned up, so there is limited visibility. Cats take stink baits and
bass can be had with surface lures under the trees that overhang the shore.
Boat ramp. Not limit on motors.
Return to Home Page